Wednesday 22 February 2012

How to Evaluate Your Listening Skills

It takes a lot of concentration and determination to be an active listener. Old habits are hard to break, and if your listening habits are as bad as many people's are, then there's a lot of habit-breaking to do!

Through this miniature evaluation it will vividly express your own listening skills. This should provide you will a realistic look at how well of a listener you are. Through previous blogs I have explained the importance of listening; now it’s your turn. This quiz is based on the skills you need to be a good listener.
<><><><><><> Stay focused<><><><><><> Be honest<><><><><><> Concentrate<><><><><><> Be accurate<><><><><><> Share the quiz!
Statement
Rating (1-5)
I concentrate on what is being said even if I am not really interested

I encourage others to talk by listening instead of speaking

I use questions to guide speakers so they will make their message clear to me.

I relay messages for clarity.

I give verbal feedback to tell speakers how they are getting through to me.

Score:


Ratings:
1-      This is if you almost never engage in this manner
2-      This is if you seldom engage in this in this manner
3-      This is if you sometimes engage in this manner
4-      This is if you usually engage in this manner
5-      This is if you almost always engage in this manner
Once you complete this mini quiz if most of your answers were rated 3 or more you are on the right track in becoming a good listener. Any statement ratings of 2 or below should show to you what you need to improve on.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is really good at informing people about the importance of listening. I’m a terrible listener myself and definitely will be using some of your tips!

    ReplyDelete