Monday 13 February 2012

Why should I improve my listening skills? How could that possibly help in the "Real World"?




"We were given two ears but only one mouth, because listening is twice as hard as talking."

Simple questions can be answered with a simple answer. Listening is key in the business world when interacting with other beings. How could someone take you seriously if you cannot respect them while they are speaking? I am a customer service representative at a Scotiabank branch. The first thing I need to do when helping a customer is listening to why they have travelled to the branch. I not only need to listen but try to resolve or complete the task they have come to do by taking in the information they have given to me and working with my knowledge. For instance, if someone comes to deposit money I need to listen to exactly where they want to put, and what to do next for them. How could I possibly complete any task without listening first and talking second? In any job that involves some sort of interaction with co-workers, clients or bosses listening is the best way of making anyone feel comfortable around you.

1 comment:

  1. hey Michelle i'm saira from business communication class and i think you have done a good job in describing your point. Very well done

    ReplyDelete